Mainstream leverages our expertise in chemistry and chemical engineering to support applied R&D efforts in the fields of energy conversion, green technology and thermal management.
Internally funded R&D includes development and support of chemical-based QwikProducts™ for the commercial HVAC industry. We also perform research for sponsors including the Army, Navy, Air Force, the Department of Energy (DOE) and the Department of Agriculture (USDA), among others.
Our chemical technology R&D is focused in the following three areas:
Reactions Engineering and Process Development
- Process simulations for energy conversion process design and scale-up
- Biomass conversion and characterization for fuel, heat and power generation
- Catalyst development for pyrolysis oil upgrading, ammonia decomposition and alcohol oxidation
- Improved separations to support gasification processes
- Water purification for greywater recycling
- Man-portable desalination for drinking water
- Sensors for fuel, air and water monitoring and purification
Working Fluid Development
- Working fluids for absorption, heat transfer and waste heat recovery
- Chemical systems for heating, cooling and thermal energy storage
- Computational chemical methods to predict fluid properties
At Mainstream, we focus on the R&D process rather than any particular “widget” or technology. Our research efforts start with getting a clear understanding of a user’s needs and then considering all the available options. We seek to approach each new challenge with a “blank sheet” and without bias toward our own previous inventions.
We use small, focused design teams to address problems in a tight-knit setting that fosters creativity and effective communication. Computer-aided engineering (CAE) tools and rapid-prototyping are used extensively to speed development timelines.
Unlike most other small companies, Mainstream is engaged in all aspects of providing solutions from initial concept through final manufacturing, sales, and support. We encourage you to see for yourself at our Patents, Manufacturing, and Products pages.
Our Labs and Capabilities
Mainstream has a diverse set of capabilities for the development of chemical technology solutions including:
- Chemical process design and scale-up
- Membrane characterization
- Fuel processing and characterization
- Catalyst synthesis and testing
- Fluid testing
Mainstream’s 85,000-ft2 facility in Rockledge, FL includes extensive laboratories and supporting facilities. The facilities used most often for our chemical technology programs are:
- Analytical and wet chemistry laboratories (GC/MS, FTIR, UV-Vis, TGA, DSC, etc.)
- Biomass conversion laboratory (1 ton/day pilot-scale fast-pyrolysis reactor)
- CNC machine shop (5-axis CNC mill, several 4-axis mills and lathes)