Mainstream has a technology area focused in power electronics and offers products for the U.S. Navy, Army, NASA and commercial applications. Mainstream specializes in the use of wide bandgap semiconductors for power electronics operating in extreme environments and where SWaP is critical. Mainstream has extensive experience developing full thermal control systems for air-, space-, and ground-based applications. Mainstream has extensive background in MIL-STD testing. Production qualification tests (PQT) and first article tests (FAT) have been performed in accordance with (IAW) MIL-STD-461G, MIL-STD-1275E, MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-913A, and MIL-STD-1474D.
Military-Grade Power Supplies
25 kW SiC Based Variable Frequency Drive
- Mainstream designed, built and tested a 25 kW continuous (35 kW peak), 105 °C liquid cooled, wide-bandgap (WBG) three-phase motor drive. This motor drive is based on a custom SiC module.
- The motor drive is 99% efficient, weighs only 11.5 lbs, and has dimensions of 11″ x 7″ x 3.5″. Installation into the end application vehicle is also simplified because all electrical and fluid connections are located on the same enclosure face.
7.5 kW GaN Based Battery Isolator Unit
- Mainstream designed, built and tested a 7.5 kW GaN based battery isolator unit (BIU). The BIU can interface with military low-voltage (28 Vdc) battery banks, allows bi-directional current flow independent of battery charge, is fully sealed, and is cooled using natural convection.
- The BIU operates above 94% efficiency at the worst case loading condition, weighs 44.1 lbs and has dimensions of 11.6” x 20.6” x 4.5”.
Satellite Space Converter
- Mainstream designed, built and tested a 2.5 kW 3-port isolated dc-dc converter that is modular and scalable for space applications. This unit consolidates a spacecraft’s electrical power system into a single unit by simultaneously interfacing solar panels (250–400 Vdc), a battery bank (40–60 Vdc), and spacecraft loads (28 Vdc).
- The converter achieves 98.1% efficient (peak) with GaN power semiconductors and utilizes soft switching techniques.
Variable Speed Drives
- Mainstream has developed variable speed drives for compressor and pump applications. Products include both active and passive rectifiers with power factor correction and low harmonic distortion.
- Mainstream has expertise in the tradeoffs between SiC and IGBT-based inverter drives to optimize for size, cost and performance.